Premier League Round 38: Can Brentford Secure a Crucial Win Against Newcastle?

  • Brentford vs Newcastle in Premier League Round 38 is a crucial match for both teams.
  • Brentford seeks to solidify their mid-table position, while Newcastle aims for European qualification.
  • Key players, recent form, and tactical insights provide a comprehensive preview of the match.

Match Preview

As the Premier League season reaches its climax, the anticipation for the showdown between Brentford vs Newcastle is at an all-time high. This decisive fixture, scheduled for today at 3 PM BST at the Gtech Community Stadium, promises to be an enthralling encounter with significant implications for both teams.

Significance of the Game

For Brentford, currently sitting 16th in the league with 39 points, this match offers a chance to end the season on a high note. A win could see them solidify their mid-table position and ensure a more comfortable finish away from the relegation zone. On the other hand, Newcastle, in 7th place with 57 points, are aiming to secure a spot that could potentially lead to European competition next season. For them, a victory could be pivotal in achieving this goal, while a loss might see them slipping down the standings.

Team Form and Recent Performances

Brentford’s Recent Form

Brentford’s form this season has been a rollercoaster, as reflected in their record of 10 wins, 9 draws, and 18 losses from 37 games. Their recent form shows a mix of results, with notable wins interspersed with frustrating losses. In their most recent outings, Brentford managed a 1-1 draw against Manchester United, a 3-3 draw against Aston Villa, and a commanding 5-1 victory away at Luton. However, they stumbled with a narrow 1-0 loss to Everton and a goalless draw against Fulham. The team’s inconsistency has been a concern, but their ability to pull off impressive victories, such as the 2-0 win over Sheffield United, cannot be overlooked.

Newcastle’s Recent Form

Newcastle, meanwhile, have had a more stable season with 17 wins, 6 draws, and 14 losses. Their recent form has been a mix of highs and lows, highlighting their potential but also their vulnerability. They secured a thrilling 4-3 win over West Ham and a dominant 4-0 victory against Tottenham. However, they also faced setbacks, such as a 2-0 loss to Crystal Palace and a 3-2 defeat to Manchester United. Their most recent match ended in a 1-1 draw against Brighton, showcasing their resilience but also their inability to consistently secure points.

Head-to-Head History

Historically, Newcastle has had the upper hand against Brentford. In their last five encounters, Newcastle has won twice, while Brentford has managed just one victory. Notably, the last meeting between these two teams saw Newcastle edge out a 1-0 win at St. James’ Park. In another recent match, Newcastle triumphed 2-1 at the Gtech Community Stadium. This historical advantage could provide Newcastle with a psychological edge going into today’s game.

Key Players and Matchups

Brentford’s Key Players

For Brentford, much will depend on the form of their key attackers, K. Lewis-Potter and N. Maupay. Lewis-Potter, who has been a consistent presence with 3 goals and 1 assist in 30 Premier League appearances, will be crucial in breaking down Newcastle’s defense. Maupay, with 6 goals and 3 assists, adds another dimension to Brentford’s attack.

In midfield, V. Janelt and Y. Wissa will be pivotal. Janelt has been a workhorse with 1270 completed passes and 3 assists, while Wissa has been a standout with 11 goals and 2 assists. Their ability to control the midfield and create opportunities will be key.

Defensively, M. Roerslev and N. Collins will need to be at their best. Roerslev has made 46 tackles and won 85 duels, while Collins has been solid with 38 tackles and 145 duels won. Goalkeeper M. Flekken, with 112 saves this season, will also play a crucial role in keeping Newcastle’s potent attack at bay.

Newcastle’s Key Players

For Newcastle, the attacking duo of A. Gordon and A. Isak will be the main threats. Gordon, with 11 goals and 10 assists, has been a dynamic force, while Isak, with 20 goals, has been their top scorer. Their ability to penetrate Brentford’s defense will be crucial.

In midfield, Bruno Guimarães and M. Almirón will be key. Guimarães, with 6 goals and 6 assists, has been a creative hub, while Almirón has contributed with 3 goals and 1 assist. Their ability to control the game’s tempo and supply the forwards will be vital.

Defensively, F. Schär and D. Burn will need to be solid. Schär has been impressive with 41 tackles and 148 duels won, while Burn has contributed with 61 tackles and 175 duels won. Goalkeeper M. Dúbravka, with 88 saves, will need to be on top form to keep Brentford’s attackers at bay.

Tactical Insights

Brentford’s Strategy

Brentford typically employs a 3-5-2 formation, which allows them to be flexible in both attack and defense. They rely on their wing-backs to provide width and support the forwards, while the three central midfielders work to control possession and break up the opposition’s play. This formation also allows Brentford to be solid defensively, with three central defenders providing cover.

However, given Newcastle’s attacking prowess, Brentford might adjust their tactics to be more cautious, focusing on keeping a compact shape and looking to hit Newcastle on the counter-attack. The wing-backs will be crucial in this setup, needing to balance their defensive duties with providing support in attack.

Newcastle’s Strategy

Newcastle, on the other hand, often deploys a 4-3-3 formation, which emphasizes attacking football. With three forwards, they can stretch the opposition’s defense and create numerous scoring opportunities. The three central midfielders provide a solid base, allowing the full-backs to join the attack and provide width.

Given Brentford’s defensive setup, Newcastle might look to dominate possession and patiently build their attacks, looking to exploit any gaps in Brentford’s defense. They will also need to be wary of Brentford’s counter-attacks, ensuring they maintain a solid defensive shape and do not leave themselves exposed.

Possible Outcomes and Consequences

If Brentford Wins

A victory for Brentford would be a significant boost, potentially moving them further up the table and ensuring a more comfortable finish to the season. It would also be a morale booster, providing a positive end to what has been a challenging campaign. This could be crucial for the team’s confidence going into the next season, as well as for the manager’s standing with the fans and the board.

If Newcastle Wins

For Newcastle, a win would be crucial in their quest for European football. Securing three points could see them climb the table, possibly securing a spot in the Europa League or even the Champions League, depending on other results. This would be a significant achievement and a reward for their consistent performances throughout the season. It would also provide a strong foundation for next season, attracting potential new signings and boosting the club’s profile.

If the Match Ends in a Draw

A draw, while not ideal for either team, would still have its benefits. For Brentford, it would mean a valuable point and a decent end to their campaign. For Newcastle, it would keep them in the hunt for European qualification, though it might make their task slightly more challenging. Both teams would likely use the point gained as a platform for improvement in the next season.

Broader Impacts

The outcome of this match will also have broader implications, affecting fan sentiment, media coverage, and potentially even managerial decisions. A strong performance by either team could reinforce the manager’s position and provide a positive narrative for the club going into the off-season.


Given the form and the circumstances, my prediction leans slightly towards Brentford. Though Newcastle has been the stronger side over the season, Brentford’s ability to pull off surprising results, especially at home, gives them a fighting chance. With a significant number of key players unavailable for Newcastle, Brentford’s chances are further bolstered. I predict a 35% chance of a win or draw for Brentford, while Newcastle has a 30% chance of winning. A draw stands at 35%. In terms of goals, I foresee a low-scoring affair with Brentford scoring less than 2.5 goals and Newcastle less than 3.5 goals.

Overall, this match promises to be a fascinating contest, with both teams having much to play for. Fans can expect an exciting end to the Premier League season as Brentford and Newcastle battle it out at the Gtech Community Stadium.