Arsenal vs Everton: Premier League Finale – Can Arsenal Clinch the Title?

  • Arsenal vs Everton: A crucial Premier League showdown at Emirates Stadium.
  • Arsenal aims to clinch the title, while Everton seeks a strong season finish.
  • Key players include Bukayo Saka, Declan Rice, and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Date: May 19, 2024
Time: 15:00 GMT
Venue: Emirates Stadium, London
Match Significance: Premier League Regular Season – Matchday 38

Match Preview: Stakes and Significance

The Premier League’s final matchday is upon us, and all eyes will be on the Emirates Stadium as Arsenal vs Everton takes center stage. This fixture holds immense significance for both teams. Arsenal, currently sitting second in the league standings, are chasing Manchester City for the top spot, while Everton, positioned in the lower half of the table, are fighting to end their season on a high.

For Arsenal, the stakes couldn’t be higher. With only two points separating them from league leaders Manchester City, a victory could potentially see them clinch the Premier League title, provided City stumble in their final game. Mikel Arteta’s men have been in stellar form, and they’ll be eager to capitalize on this opportunity.

Everton, on the other hand, find themselves in a less enviable position. Currently placed 15th, they are safe from relegation but have had a roller-coaster season riddled with inconsistent performances. A win would not only boost their morale but also provide a solid foundation to build on for the next season.

Team Form and Recent Performances


Arsenal have been a force to reckon with this season, boasting a record of 27 wins, 5 draws, and 5 losses from their 37 league matches. They’ve scored an impressive 89 goals while conceding just 28, demonstrating a potent attack and a resilient defense. Their recent form is also commendable, with victories over Chelsea (5-0), Brighton (3-0), and Bournemouth (3-0), among others.

  • Arsenal 5-0 Chelsea
  • Manchester City 0-0 Arsenal
  • Arsenal 2-0 Luton
  • Brighton 0-3 Arsenal
  • Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa


Everton, in contrast, have had a more turbulent campaign with 13 wins, 9 draws, and 15 losses. They’ve scored 39 goals and conceded 49, highlighting issues in both attack and defense. Their form in the last few games has been somewhat positive, with key wins against Liverpool (2-0) and Nottingham Forest (2-0).

  • Everton 2-0 Liverpool
  • Bournemouth 2-1 Everton
  • Newcastle 1-1 Everton
  • Everton 1-0 Burnley
  • Chelsea 6-0 Everton

Head-to-Head History

When it comes to head-to-head encounters, Arsenal have generally had the upper hand over Everton. In their last meeting on September 17, 2023, Arsenal emerged victorious with a 1-0 win at Goodison Park. Earlier in the season, Arsenal thrashed Everton 4-0 at the Emirates Stadium on March 1, 2023. However, in the past five encounters between these two sides, Arsenal have won only once, lost three times, and drawn once, indicating a somewhat competitive rivalry.

Key Players and Matchups


  • Bukayo Saka: The young winger has been phenomenal this season, contributing 16 goals and 8 assists in the Premier League. His pace and dribbling skills can be a nightmare for Everton’s defense.
  • Declan Rice: A rock in midfield, Rice’s ability to break up play and distribute the ball effectively will be crucial. He has also chipped in with 7 goals and 8 assists.
  • Ben White: The versatile defender has been solid at the back, with 48 tackles and 105 duels won. His defensive acumen will be vital in keeping Everton’s attackers at bay.


  • Dwight McNeil: With 3 goals and 6 assists, McNeil has been one of Everton’s bright spots this season. His creativity and vision can unlock defenses, making him a key player to watch.
  • Dominic Calvert-Lewin: The striker has netted 7 goals and provided 2 assists. His physical presence and aerial ability could pose a significant threat to Arsenal’s defense.
  • James Tarkowski: A stalwart in defense, Tarkowski’s tackling and aerial prowess will be essential in dealing with Arsenal’s attacking threats.

Tactical Insights


Mikel Arteta has predominantly employed a 4-3-3 formation this season, focusing on high pressing and quick transitions. The midfield trio, often comprising Rice, Havertz, and Ødegaard, controls the tempo of the game, while the front three of Saka, Trossard, and Jesus provide the attacking impetus. Arsenal’s full-backs, particularly Ben White and Kieran Tierney, are expected to push forward, adding width to the attack.


Everton’s manager has favored a 4-4-1-1 formation, focusing on a more disciplined and structured approach. The midfield quartet works tirelessly to maintain shape and support both defense and attack. Calvert-Lewin, playing as the lone striker, is supported by a deeper-lying playmaker, usually McNeil or Gray, who links the midfield and attack. Defensively, they will look to be compact and organized, aiming to frustrate Arsenal’s fluid attacking play.

Possible Outcomes and Consequences

If Arsenal Wins: A victory for Arsenal could potentially see them leapfrog Manchester City to claim the Premier League title, provided City drop points in their final game. This would not only be a monumental achievement for Arteta but also a massive morale booster for the team and fans. It would also influence player selections and tactics for upcoming fixtures, particularly in the Champions League.

If Everton Wins: A win for Everton would be a significant morale boost and could see them climb a few places in the league standings. It would be a statement victory, showcasing their ability to compete against top teams. This could be a turning point, providing a positive end to a tumultuous season and setting the stage for a better campaign next year.

If the Match Ends in a Draw: A draw would likely see Arsenal finish second, assuming Manchester City secure a win in their final game. While it would be a disappointing end to their title aspirations, it would still be a commendable season. For Everton, a draw would be a respectable result, maintaining their position in the lower mid-table but not significantly altering their season outcome.

Broader Impacts

The outcome of this match will resonate beyond the immediate results. A title win for Arsenal would be a monumental achievement, altering fan sentiment, media coverage, and potentially the club’s transfer strategy. For Everton, a strong finish could influence coaching decisions and player retention, providing a foundation for rebuilding and aiming for a more consistent performance next season.

Author’s Predictions

Given Arsenal’s superior form and the stakes involved, I predict a 45% chance of an Arsenal victory. Everton’s chances of winning stand at 10%, while there’s a 45% likelihood of a draw. I expect Arsenal to score less than 3.5 goals and Everton less than 1.5 goals. The absence of key players like J. Timber for Arsenal and several Everton players due to injuries could influence the match dynamics, but Arsenal’s overall strength and depth should see them through.

In conclusion, this match promises to be a thrilling end to the Premier League season, with high stakes and potential drama. Whether it’s Arsenal’s pursuit of the title or Everton’s bid to finish strong, fans can expect a captivating encounter at the Emirates Stadium.